19 May Albany Day of Action to Pass the Adult Survivors Act
From 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM ET
At New York State Capitol
State St. and, Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12224
Malkin & Ross and Safe Horizon / Jaron Benjamin: email@example.com
On Monday, May 23, survivors of sexual assault and their allies will visit the NYS Capitol in Albany to demand the passage of the Adult Survivors Act (ASA) in the NYS Assembly. The bill (A648A) is in danger of dying in committee despite bipartisan support and more than 70 co-sponsors.
The NYS Senate passed the ASA (S66A) in April, and the bill was modeled on the Child Victims Act. The Adult Survivors Act gives a one-year window to currently time-barred adult survivors of sexual assault to bring a civil case against an abuser or an institution that enabled abuse. There are many reasons why survivors do not come forward right away – including trauma, fear, retaliation, economic dependency on an abuser, and immigration status. All survivors deserve an adequate pathway to justice. To learn more about the ASA, please visit Safe Horizon's webpage.
Will you join us in Albany on Monday, May 23? Click here to RSVP.
- A chartered bus will leave from lower Manhattan (exact location TBD) around 8 AM and will arrive in Albany around 10:30 AM. Folks who plan to take the bus will need to show proof of vaccination and wear a face mask.
- A donor will help to pay fuel costs for people who are driving to Albany; there will be some ability to help pay for train tickets.
- Photo ID and proof of vaccination (or negative COVID test) are required to enter the Capitol and Legislative Office Building.
- Training will be available for participants who wish to learn more about how to talk to lawmakers and what we are specifically asking for.
- Meetings with Assembly members will take place between 11 AM and 3 PM.
- Each group of advocates will be led by a team leader, who will have a list of Assembly members to meet with, and will be familiar with the process.
- At 3 PM, the bus back to NYC will depart Albany and drop folks off back in lower Manhattan.
- More info TBA. RSVP to stay up-to-date! bit.ly/PassTheASA523
- Questions/concerns? Contact Jaron Benjamin: firstname.lastname@example.org