28 Mar How to Help an Adult Victim of Sexual Abuse in Family Court
From 12:00 PM until 1:30 PM ET
At Online via Zoom
Presented by NY Crime Victims Legal Help, a project of the Empire Justice Center / email@example.com
How to Help an Adult Victim of Sexual Abuse in Family Court
Sexual abuse, which encompasses a range of actions including unwanted touching, refusing safe sex practices, and coerced or forced sex, is often a part of the abuse experienced by a victim of intimate partner violence. While Criminal Court may be an option, victims of sexual abuse may turn to Family Court for help in the form of an Order of Protection. Several sex crimes are enumerated family offenses, and while inclusion of those offenses in the petition may be the best legal strategy, it may not always be in your client’s best interest.
This webinar will address:
- Identifying sexual abuse within a relationship
- Establishing an “intimate relationship”
- Evaluating legal arguments and your client’s best interest when drafting a Family Offense Petition
- Non-legal ways you can help your client
- Rebecca Stevens, Director, Child Advocacy Center, BestSelf Behavioral Health
- Remla Parthasarathy, Senior Attorney & Project Leader, Crime Victims Legal Network, Empire Justice Center
- Amy Molloy Bogardus, Regional Attorney Coordinator, Crime Victims Legal Network, Empire Justice Center
- Laura Dwyer, Regional Attorney Coordinator, Crime Victims Legal Network, Empire Justice Center
Empire Justice Center has been certified by the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board as an Accredited Provider of continuing legal education in the State of New York. This program has been approved for 1.5 CLE towards Skills in accordance with the requirements of the Continuing Education Board. This course is appropriate for both new and experienced attorneys.
If you are seeking CLE and are working outside of the not-for-profit sector, there is a $25 fee per credit for receiving CLE. Checks should be made out to Empire Justice Center and mailed to the attention of Michelle Peterson along with your Attorney Affirmation form. Please contact Michelle Peterson at MPeterson@empirejustice with any questions.